- Free DNS, Dynamic DNS, Static DNS services
- Free and premium subdomain hosting, domain hosting, backup dns, reverse IPv6 DNS hosting (forward/reverse)
- Premium users have increased capacity and features based on their plan
- Free and premium URL redirection [web forwarding]
- Premium services available both for increased account capacity, and level of provisioned resources
- Unlimited number of domains per account (yes really)
- Comes with 5 free hostnames that work in the shared domain registry
- Currently 52,403 other domains besides afraid.org listed here in our shared domain registry
- 20 free subdomains included on each of your own domains
- INSTANTLY point yourname.afraid.org or yourname.com to any IP or URL
- Supports every TLD on the Internet
- Funding is supplied by the members who go premium. Funding goes directly to servers and high bandwidth connections they reside on
- Robust support for CNAME, A, AAAA, MX, NS, TXT, LOC, RP, HINFO, SRV, CAA records
- Round robin DNS supported (Multiple IP addresses for 1 hostname)
- IPv6 forward AND reverse (both .int and .arpa) supported
- Dynamic DNS supported, several clients for Win32 and UNIX available
- Forward your hosts to any existing URL on the internet (even to a different port if your ISP blocks 80) with the Web Forward system
- URL cloaking redirection supported, optionally hide real URL of your site in the address bar
- Allows you to change web hosting providers without messy DNS propagation delays
- Simple, fast, flexible and reliable interface, feedback is welcome
- Works with any existing web host you may already be using for both DNS and hosting
- If your web host goes down, visitors will see a "timeout" error instead of a "site does not exist" error, e-mail will also remain queued for 5 days
- If you put a domain in afraid.org, you can edit TTL, Minimum, Allow/Deny AXFR's, and approve/disapprove others from using hosts on your domain. You can also share your domain with the users of afraid.org, or your own web site visitors using our 'webclude' feature
- Support for vanity dns hosts (example: i.knew.you.were.afraid.org) currently 52,403 domains in the shared pool
- Extremely reliable, fast, and redundant hosting, and interface
- The FreeDNS router setup guide with DD-WRT (v2) and the DD-WRT (v1) guide are guides that shows new users the most common/convenient configuration on a dynamic IP address, but is good for any new user to review to quickly understand the site flow.
- Starting with the gold plan, you can use nameserver branding.
Brandable nameservers allow a webmaster to use their own domain in their delegations.
For example, Instead of :
You could use:
This allows you to further impress your clients by appearing to operate your own nameservers with your company name in distributed locations!
This also means you're not sharing any naming resources with the free users, providing you the highest level of reliable service.
- All updates go live instantaneously.